68th ARMORED INFANTRY BATTALION 14th ARMORED DIVISION

Associate Group: First Special Service Force, 6th CO, 3rd REG and the 6th Corps living History Group, St Louis, MO

Battalion S-2

Forum Home > General Discussion > AAR for Congressmen Akins picnic

Company First Sergent Burton

First, I must give the credit for the sucess of the event to Richard Ford and Jon Shoop for bringing out one of Jon's M5's at the last minute. Richard and Jon arived with the tank at about 11:00A.M. and after some recon and meeting with  Congerssman Akin we got the tank delivered. This was only acomplished due to Richards skill behind the wheel  of the All American on a narrow road. 

We left the Akins farm and returned around 4:30  P.M. to set up for the picnic.  The 68th was represented by Jon Shoop, Rich Schafer with his weapons  display and myself. We were joined by Richard Ford, Perry Lock with his weapons carrier, Mike and Kevin Lavin with Kevin's jeep and trailer and an impressive display airborne equipment. Rick Montgomery and a group of 2nd rangers also set up a weapons and equipment display. We were joined by a unit of Union Civil War cavalry, a group portraying the Lewis and Clark expidition and a Rev War fife and drum corp.

The event opened to the public at 6:00P.M. at that time all of the reenactors were invited to be first for the pot luck dinner. It was an impressive spread with more food than you could ever want. We were all kept busy at the displays with many spectators, mostly children wanting to climb all over Jon's M-5. Through out the event Jon did blank firing demos with the M-5's main gun to the delight of the crowd. Around 9:00 P.M. the crowd was treated to a small but non the less impressive fireworks display to end the night. This was my third time out for this event and I have always enjoyed it . Congressman Akin is the representitive for my district and I am always willing to assist with any event he puts on.

This was the last time this event will be held on the Akin's family farm as it i has been sold,but I believe they will find another location to thank all of the Congessmans supporters next year.  I will pass along any information i get about next years picnic.

Sean

June 29, 2010 at 3:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

14th Armor
Site Owner

Thank you Sergant for taking over for me this year, you did an outstanding job and a thank you to all who helped.

papajoad

--
June 30, 2010 at 8:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.